Monday, November 18, 2013

Dragon*Con, Anime Weekend Atlanta, and the End of the 2013 Con Season


Dragon*Con 2013

Danielle and I were there, staying together with other mutual friends.  Coming to Dragon*Con, after missing 2012, was like coming home.  It was great to be back!  This was, by far, one of the quietest, low key D*Cons we have ever been to in all the time we've ever been.  We took fewer, simpler costumes, and wore even fewer of the ones we brought.  Between the the two of us, we wore:
  • Tony Stark (Avengers/Battle for New York version)
  • 1940's Pin Up
  • Sweet Lolita Coord (lavender gingham)
  • Princess Leia (Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope)
  • Formal Tony Stark (Iron Man II version)
I did bring my Mia Fey and Phoenix Wright costumes, but with my ankle still giving me quite a bit of trouble, I was hesitant to wear anything with heals. Plus, Danielle and myself really weren't costumes at all by the time Sunday rolled around.  The rest of the weekend was spent in casual clothes just enjoying the sights.  I went to several awesome panels run by amazing people like Fev Studios, Lone Wolf ArmoryGod Save the Queen Fashions, and Arda Wigs.

It was yet another awesome year, and we've already registered for 2014.

AWA 2013

My second year going to AWA since leaving SCAD, I did this con on my own.  This con, to me, is th Dragon*Con After Party and Cosplay Family Reunion.  This particular AWA was no exception.  My costume list was:


    • Tony Stark (Avengers/Battle for New York, Battle-Damaged version)
    • Hongbin (VIXX - "Hyde")
    • Sweet Lolita Coord (lavender gingham)
    • Phoenix "Pheenie" Wright (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations)
    I did a lot more costuming, all in all, and shared table space along side my good friend Fev Studios in the Artist Alley, and I sold out of 75% - 80% of my button stock!  Tons of friends, both old and new, and, really a fun time.  My 93-year-old grandmother had passed the week before, and it was the perfect way not only to refocus on work, my plans for the future, the dreams for this studio, and my over all goals, as she would have wanted.  All in all, after a rather tiring run of cons, this convention left me feeling rejuvenated.  It feels a lot more like the cons I used to go to as a teen, fun times with good friends in amazing costumes.

    You can bet AWA will continue to be one of my regular stops on the con circuit.  It's always been one of my favorites.

    The 2013 Convention Year - In Close

    I have had the pleasure of going to more cons and events, this year than I have in a rather long time.  Not just these cons, but also the local Renaissance Faire, Lolita Meet Ups, SCA events, coffee shop meet ups, and all sorts of things.  In the meantime, I'll be working on new products for the shop as well as finishing up all the lingering projects around the studio.

    Here's to an awesome 2013!  We've already pre-registered for PAX East, Dragon*Con, and other events.  Here's looking forward to finishing this year strong and an amazing 2014 con season to come.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment