Sunday, September 13, 2009

Snow Leopard - Really Just a kitty in the snow?

So, up until now, I've been hearing all this buzz about 10.6 since I have a Mac. With any new tech-thing, I take it with a grain of salt especially if it's from Apple. I know they LOVE to put their spin and polish on things. Thus I figured, if I'm going to upgrade, since I fall into that lovely bunch that qualifies for the $29 upgrade, is it really worth it.

Especially since my first opinion of the new OS X incarnation was this:
"WTF?! Why do I have snow on my head?"

So, at the suggestion of a fellow Mac user over at Studio Revolver sent me over to Gizmodo to read up on the reality of the new kid on the block, and I have to say, I'm pretty pleased.

I thought it was just going to have a bunch of pointless toys which could be compared to a Nokia cell phone from '99 covered in rhinestones from the dollar store. I was happily mistaken. Here's a condensed list of the basket of goodies. And, even without the streamlining on the back end, there's some stuff in there, espeically with Quicktime X, that look like pure awesome. My only major 'quibble' is the fact that I'll probably have to actually switch to AIM for Mac since it's geared more towards the intel-based machines and Final Draft 7 might act up a tad.

Outside of that, it's all systems go for my machine. Though I've lost my XP Pro partition for the moment to free up space so my poor machine won't crash every time it so much as thinks about opening Photoshop or Illustrator, I think that the switch to Snow Leopard for me will be a good thing. Slipping down the OS I feel is always a good thing and something that tends to piss me off with Windows.

Anybody actually curious to see about it, here's the full article. Now, for most, who I know are Windows users out there, I'll simply leave this and this here.

Personally I'm neither a Mac of PC. I use what I use to get the most out of it. Now if you excuse me, I need to continue counting my pennies to save up for RAM and a new HD.

No comments:

Post a Comment